Tonight I was browsing Facebook.
One RealFood and NaturallyHealthy page posted a question.
"Someone has anxiety and wants to know how to help it. She's taken meds but would like to try natural."
Several people had good suggestions.
Three people in a row suggested she spend more time praying and getting in the Word.
I popped a gasket.
Really? That's all you have?
PEOPLE, let me tell you something...
When you have anxiety and meds helped, it is not a spiritual problem.
When you have anxiety that is not a spiritual problem, reading *can* be a huge chore.
When reading is a huge chore and that's the only answer you get?
Crash and burn and wish you could die are the only places lower.
I cannot tell you how pained I have been about this kind of response. Some of the people I expected to be supportive and kind and helpful, just thought I should go for a walk everyday. People who had been through HARD things in life, I expected might understand and be empathetic at least. Yet, they seemed clueless and worse, almost hardhearted. No compassion.
I have been faced recently with forgiving again. Many were the days when I cried bc of insensitive remarks and pushy suggestions along the lines of "Get over it". If that were possible, discussion would never have happened and the need would not have been...
But there was a need. deep hard need. And a good walk everyday would not fix it.
Nor would praying and getting in the Word.
Remember my post about being autistic?
I could not read during that time.
The letters swam on the page.
More than swimming, they were not letters.
They were shapes.
Black on White.
Swirls on RoughGrain.
And all most people had to offer was take a walk and read your Bible.
And I am faced with forgiveness.
Again...
1 comment:
Sweetheart, I feel just what you are talking about!
People have all kinds of different perceptions.
Some people absolutely don"t have the gifts to be talk
able to talk to a person in pain!
Even when they think they do.
Sometimes the best thing to say when in doubt is NOTHING.
Note to self: The next time someone has a traumatic life event, Spend time with them,without saying a word.
Sit with them and put your arm around them.
Just silently walk with them through their pain..
Post a Comment